Son of Dad

Welcome

This is a new blog and I appreciate your visit. The title tells you everything you need to know to get started; I am a dad and I like music as well as other things. This truly unique combination of attributes is sure to produce fascinating reading material. Please read and make comments (only positive comments please, I am very sensitive). Think about it, when it comes to music and other things, who is cooler than your dad?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reflection Eternal - Revolutions Per Minute

Revolutions Per Minute, the new release from Reflection Eternal is noticeably different from its predecessor, 2000's Train of Thought. Ten years after their joint debut, Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek return with a much more polished sound. This change is mostly due to Hi-Tek's more pop-friendly beats. It seems that there is an equation in hip hop that states that for each percentage point you gain in pop or mainstream credibility you lose two percentage points in street credibility. After a ten year absence, the duo may be ready to trade in some of that underground street cred for bigger sales and it is certainly tough to blame them. That being said, the slick sound does not hurt the group a bit and it should draw in a few new fans.

The first single Back Again was released a while back (with a well-edited split-screen video) and still serves as the theme song for the album. Kweli proclaims "That's right we back again, you can like rap again..." It is true that for fans of a certain age, there have not been any new artists for us to get into since about 2000, so our commitment to rap is based upon "old" artists continuing to produce good music. Kweli's claim suggests that not only have old dads not been able to like rap music lately, most rap fans have had little to choose from in terms of quality material.

Ballad of the Black Gold is particularly relevant in the wake of the gulf coast oil spill. Anyone that has done preliminary research into economics and politics will be able to follow Kweli's rant against the big oil companies, particularly the way that countries like Nigeria have fallen victim to oil interests. Of course the U.S. occupation of the Middle East is covered as well: "Drill baby drill while they make our soldiers kill..." Some may find tracks like this a downer, it is certainly different from the Billboard Top 100 fare, but it is essential that artists spread awareness of important issues.

That being said, Reflection Eternal will also provide you with a few dance numbers, including Get Loose. Oftentimes a club track from an underground or gangsta artist fails on two fronts: they are not accepted in the club and they alienate the fanbase. Good artists are able to pull off these songs when they do not sell out their sound or dumb down their lyrics. Kweli is still Kweli here and the production is not inconsistent with the rest of the album.

Overall, a solid release: 7/10.

Other recommended new releases

Also available this week is Distant Relatives by Damian Marley and Nas. Try As We Enter.

The Weepies released a new single: I Was Made for Sunny Days.

What have you purchased this week? Any recommendations?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't purchased any albums this week... Of the new releases this week I'll be picking up Audra Mae's debut. I love her song "The River". She has had pretty amazing success with the song she wrote for Susan Boyle's album. I think so far with mechanical royalties she's made a couple million off just that one song. I think it would be awesome if she became this generation's Carole King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently May is Americana month. Judging by what I'm listening to. :) I have too much of a headache to actually write much of a review of these records but I love them.

    Shelby Lynn's new record Tears, Lies, and Alibis Is probably her best next to 2005's "Suit Yourself". Thank goodness she's back writing her own songs. The Dusty Springfield covers record made me sleepy almost as much as Enya's music.

    Chely Wright is also leaving the crappy over-produced Nashville sound behind her and writing all her own songs. Her latest "Lifted Of The Ground" is mostly her singing with her acoustic guitar. My favorites off her album are "Notes To The Cornoner", "Damn Liar" and "Snow Globe". I like mainstream Country a lot more than you do, but this album isn't really even Country. So you might actually like it.

    I still need to check out Carrie Rodriguez and Pieta Brown's new albums. Tina Dico released a new record last year "The Road To Gavle". I think I completely missed it.

    I'm really looking forward to Sarah Malachlan, Sarah Harmer and Tift Merritt's new albums in June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way I was just watching Sarah McLachlan's tv appearances off the DVR. She sang two songs while the couple danced on "Dancing With The Stars". It was a total crack up. Then she was on the Tonight Show singing her latest single. That was great.

    I read that Lilth Fair's ticket sales are soft. I hope people are just waiting until the last minute to buy tickets. They have a lot of great female artists on their bill that people need to support! I bought tickets when they went on sale for the Irvine show. Even-though it's a crap outdoor venue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. and recommendations Amy. It seems like we have a lot of good music to look forward to this summer.

    I was actually kind of excited about the new Lilith Fair (I did attend the first one), but the lineup for the Detroit show is probably the worst of any of its stops. They have Chantal, which is ok. I would have been much more excited to see her the first time around than I am now. There is noone else that I would like to see. Kate Nash? Maybe, that is it. I think those ticket sales will depend upon the lineup; Sarah cannot pull people in alone anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. At-least the last line-up usually had Sarah and maybe someone like Sheryl Crow headlining. I think Lilith is very important in launching indie female artists. Maybe we will get someone great that comes out of their Ourstage contest. I hope they will have a second go around of concert dates. The LA show being about 30-40 miles outside of LA (down the street for me) doesn't make sense either. Our second headliner is Emmylou Harris. She's great,but no one in their 20's is going to come for her. I looked at Detroit's line-up. They could of at-least given you The Weepies and Marina And The Diamonds like our local show.

    ReplyDelete