Son of Dad

Welcome

This is a new blog and I appreciate your visit. The title tells you everything you need to know to get started; I am a dad and I like music as well as other things. This truly unique combination of attributes is sure to produce fascinating reading material. Please read and make comments (only positive comments please, I am very sensitive). Think about it, when it comes to music and other things, who is cooler than your dad?

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dad Says - Periodic New Music Recommendation

Welcome to the first "Dad Says" entry. These will feature relatively new music (up to a few months after official release) from new and established artists. The honor of first recommendation goes to the group Soft Healer. Soft Healer is an Austin band that has not yet released an EP or LP, but does have a few singles floating around. You can download my favorite, Movie Light, here. The horns add to the level of legitimacy. Fader mentions that the track would otherwise be given "demo status". I have not researched it, but I cannot believe that Best Coast has had many similar critiques. I put Soft Healer right along with Best Coast. The lo-fi sound is obviously intentional and I think that it works here.

What do you think about Movie Light and Soft Healer?

4 comments:

  1. I figure I have to comment on all your posts to keep you blogging and all. I really do not like anything Lo-Fi sounding! These songs are okay though. I know studio time isn't cheap. But if it sounds like you went into your bathroom and recorded with a hand-held recorder something is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if it is supposed to sound like that, any leeway there? I am digging this sound at the moment, there are a lot of bands going this route for either artistic or economic reasons and I am really enjoying it. While it is as difficult as ever to be successful in music, it is easier than ever to get yourself heard; I love that so many new, if amaturish, artists can break through and find their way to my mp3 player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little better than a cassette recorder. Clearer vocal. I would like to listen to maybe a 50-100 dollar studio recording of Movie Light. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that indie artists have such an easy time getting heard on the internet. One of my favorite success stories is Kate Walsh. She recorded her whole record for around 500 dollars and it topped the UK Itunes chart. Lofi cost, but the quality of the recording is there.

    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-23392052-the-songbird-whos-outselling-take-that-with-her-homemade-album.do

    I've heard about many Indie artists that have their internet fans fund their recording via Paypal. A bunch of the ladies on the Hotel Cafe singer-songwriter LA scene are turning down major record deals and going this route. I just think you as a musician should just try to be somewhat professional sounding.

    ReplyDelete