Son of Dad

Welcome

This is a new blog and I appreciate your visit. The title tells you everything you need to know to get started; I am a dad and I like music as well as other things. This truly unique combination of attributes is sure to produce fascinating reading material. Please read and make comments (only positive comments please, I am very sensitive). Think about it, when it comes to music and other things, who is cooler than your dad?

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Releases

There were several interesting releases this week, though I have not been able to dive into them. There is Tift Merritt's new release, See You on the Moon, which Amy found a link to listen to. My first impression is favorable, but I only have listened to samples so far. Now I can try the full album.

The biggest buzz this week is for the debut of Sleigh Bells. I have been hearing them on the radio and they seem fun, but I am afraid that dad might be too old. Treats reminds me of a poor man's Love. Angel. Music. Baby, only about five years late. Although Sleigh Bells has considerably more indie street cred, this is still a guilty pleasure for the younger generation. Have fun kids.

My personal pick for this week is Fossils and Other Phantoms by Peggy Sue. This UK trio has a lovely sound, combining the vocals of Katy Young and Rosa Slade. Their voices are almost more competitive than melodic and the result is a rather fierce delivery over accordion laced soundscapes. Here is Peggy Sue performing Yo Mama for BBC Radio




Also this week is a new single from Masta Killa called Things Just Ain't the Same. It is your standard "back in the day" rap track, but Wu-Tang is still the gold standard in hip-hop, so it is great to see all of the members riding the recent Wu Wave started last year with Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II. My only issue with the track is the beat, which is way to similar to that of Last Drink. Still, new Wu.

Also out this week is a new EP from 8mm. I have only sampled this so far, perhaps Amy has heard it in its entirety. 8mm is not really my style, but I love singer Juliette Beavan's voice.

Not terribly informative this week, but hopefully you get some ideas. As always, please let me know what you have found and are enjoying this week.

5 comments:

  1. Juliette does have a lovely voice. I went to see 8mm play at a horrid hipster bar for that reason. They played songs from the new EP of course. I thought they were okay... Their music isn't my favorite either.

    Amazon has a free song from Sarah McLachlan's new album.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O9WAQQ/ref=dm_ty_trk

    I've been watching the entries for the Eurovision song contest on YouTube. Germany won the contest. I think their entry is pretty terrible.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QSgNM9yNjo

    Georgia had the best singer.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3nxhVyB5OM&feature=related

    I've heard about the Eurovision contest for years. Now I know it's cheesy crap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Peggy Sue by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy Sue is rocking it right now. How is Sarah McLachlan's new album Amy? I presume you listened the the pre-streaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed four songs on her album. Same with Tift's. Most of the songs on Sarah's latest are about her divorce, and that gets old after a while. A lot of Sarah's songs grow on me and I enjoy them later when they play on shuffle. I assume you've seen the 20 second Q&A sessions they posted everyday on Facebook? Good marketing. She's on Letterman also tonight. Which of her albums is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an easy question, my favorite has to be Fumbling Toward Ecstasy (isn't that everyone's favorite?). I was introduced to Sarah McLachlan with this album. I also like the ones before and after, Solace and Surfacing. I have to admit though, my opinion is based upon that phenomenon of liking music to a time in your life. There is a time between 17-23 or so when so many new and exciting things are happening and if you are a music fan you have a sort of soundtrack to those times of your life. That is the case here. Once you get older, it is rare that an album will have that same sort of influence, at least in my experience.

    ReplyDelete